Greetings Beautiful Family and Friends!
How are you? I trust that you are doing well! If you haven’t already, I think you will be planning your summer vacation quite soon! As many of you know, I like all things FREE and nearly FREE! As you plan your activities and attractions to visit, I wanted to share a few tips and a little info to help you save money!
One of the first things I typically do is contact the Convention and Visitors Bureau of the city I would like to visit. They are always eager to help. Ask for the names and contact information of sites and attractions that are free and open to the public. – Check out this link to convention and visitors bureaus – http://www.cvent.com/rfp/us-cvb-directory-84666a30191e407ea182af64c488696a.aspx.
Next, if there are local newspapers in your area, request information on travel articles that cover free attractions in various cities, states or countries. A fun thing to do is take your children to the neighborhood library in search of specific books and research periodicals on free places to go while on vacation. Ask to check out the digital book entitled “101 FREE Things to Do In Europe” by Gabe Lara.
Travel clubs are great sources for information. Because these individuals have traveled throughout the United States and the world, they can be helpful. You may also consider joining an organization of this nature if it will save you money in the long run.
Finally, my personal favorite is simply searching the Internet! Enter “101 Free Things” and the state or country of your choice into a search engine. This will yield numerous links. I’ve already completed 10 for you! Feel free to share this info with your friends and family via social media, email and even snail mail! Thanks and have a great week!
- Special thanks to my friend Dorothea for sharing info on the St. Louis Zoo! She inspired this section on Free Zoos in the United States – http://www.trekaroo.com/list/free-zoos-across-the-us
- Free Entrance Days at National Parks – https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/fee-free-parks.htm
- 101 FREE Things to Do in London – http://www.visitlondon.com/things-to-do/budget-london/101-free-things-to-do-in-london#1gfuTh4iHr1CAEpm.97
- 101 FREE Things to Do in Chicago – http://www.timeout.com/chicago/things-to-do/101-things-to-do-in-chicago
- 101 FREE Things to Do in the South – http://www.southernliving.com/travel/101-free-things-to-do-in-the-south
- 101 FREE Things to Do with Kids in Michigan – http://grkids.com/101-free-things-to-do-with-kids-in-michigan/
- 101 FREE and Almost Free Things to do in DC – https://washington.org/100-free-and-almost-free-things-do-dc
- FREE Things to Do in New York City – http://www.nycgo.com/free
- 100 FREE Things to Do in LA – http://www.discoverlosangeles.com/blog/100-free-things-do-los-angeles-free-activities
- FREE Attractions in Las Vegas – https://www.vegas.com/attractions/free-attractions-las-vegas/
Leslie E. Royal is an international freelance writer and travel journalist residing in metro Atlanta, GA. Her articles have appeared in ESSENCE, UPSCALE, FORTUNE, Black Enterprise and WSJ/Dow Jones Newswires. She is the Creator of Leslie’s Lane – a consumer information blog. Please follow her @LesliesLane on Twitter and Instagram for info on jobs, free stuff, discounts, travel, resources and much more! Like her Facebook page Leslie’s Lane for daily updates on great deals!